Kamphaeng Phet Province
Mueang Kluai Khai
(city of lady finger bananas)
"กรุพระเครื่อง เมืองคนแกร่ง พระแสงฯ ล้ำค่า ศิลาแลงใหญ่ กล้วยไข่หวาน น้ำมันลานกระบือ เลื่องลือมรดกโลก" ("Buddha amulet chamber, Strong city, Phra Saeng precious, Laterite, Banana Egg, Lan Krabue oil and Famed world heritage")
|• Governor||Chawalit Saeng-uthai (since 2018)|
|• Total||8,512 km2 (3,287 sq mi)|
|Area rank||Ranked 23th|
|• Rank||Ranked 35th|
|• Density||86/km2 (220/sq mi)|
|• Density rank||Ranked 56th|
|Human Achievement Index|
|• HAI (2017)||0.5643 "somewhat low"|
|Time zone||UTC+7 (ICT)|
|ISO 3166 code||TH-62|
Kamphaeng Phet (Thai: กำแพงเพชร, pronounced [kām.pʰɛ̄ːŋ pʰét]) is one of Thailand's seventy-six provinces (changwat) that lies in lower northern Thailand. Neighbouring provinces are (from north clockwise) Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Phichit, Nakhon Sawan, and Tak.
In Thai or Lao kamphaeng means 'wall' and phet (from Sanskrit vájra) means 'diamond'. The name means 'wall as hard as diamond'. This wall served as a defensive line to protect the Ayutthaya Kingdom from what is now modern-day Burma. The old name was Khao Kampeng, referring to a 'mountain wall' between the two countries.
The main river is the Ping, a major tributary of the Chao Phraya River. River flats make up much of the east of the province, while the west is mountainous and covered with forests. The total forest area is 1,997 km2 (771 sq mi) or 23.5 percent of provincial area.
One of the provinces best-known products is bananas, especially the kluai khai, a small, round, sweet banana. Banana festivals are held every year to thank the spirits for the harvest.
Kamphaeng Phet was already a royal city in the Sukhothai Kingdom in the 14th century, then known under its old name Chakangrao. It formed an important part of the defence system of the kingdom, as well as later of the Ayutthaya Kingdom.
The provincial seal shows the city walls surmounted by diamonds, since the city name means 'diamond wall' (from the shape of the ramparts of the old city wall). The provincial tree is the areca nut palm (Acacia catechu), and the provincial flower the bullet wood (Mimusops elengi). Golden belly barb (Hypsibarbus wetmorei) is provincial fish, since it is a fish found in the Ping river especially in the area of Kamphaeng Phet.
As of 26 November 2019 there are: one Kamphaeng Phet Provincial Administration Organisation (ongkan borihan suan changwat) and 25 municipal (thesaban) areas in the province. Kamphaeng Phet, Pang Makha and Nong Pling have town (thesaban mueang) status. Further 22 subdistrict municipalities (thesaban tambon). The non-municipal areas are administered by 64 Subdistrict Administrative Organisations - SAO (ongkan borihan suan tambon).
Human achievement index 2017
|Province Kamphaeng Phet, with an HAI 2017 value of 0.5643 is "somewhat low", occupies place 60 in the ranking.|
Since 2003, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Thailand has tracked progress on human development at sub-national level using the Human achievement index (HAI), a composite index covering all the eight key areas of human development. National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB) has taken over this task since 2017.
|1 - 15||"high"|
|16 - 30||"somewhat high"|
|31 - 45||"average"|
|45 - 60||"somewhat low"|
|61 - 77||"low"|
|Map with provinces and HAI 2017 rankings|
- Saman Sorjaturong: WBC & IBF light flyweight world champion
- Kaeo Pongprayoon: 2012 Summer Olympics silver medalist
- "ตารางที่ 2 พี้นที่ป่าไม้ แยกรายจังหวัด พ.ศ.2562" [Table 2 Forest area Separate province year 2019]. Royal Forest Department (in Thai). 2019. Retrieved 6 April 2021, information, Forest statistics Year 2019, Thailand boundary from Department of Provincial Administration in 2013CS1 maint: postscript (link)
- รายงานสถิติจำนวนประชากรและบ้านประจำปี พ.ส.2562 [Statistics, population and house statistics for the year 2019]. Registration Office Department of the Interior, Ministry of the Interior. stat.bora.dopa.go.th (in Thai). 31 December 2019. Retrieved 26 February 2020.
- Human achievement index 2017 by National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB), pages 1-40, maps 1-9, retrieved 14 September 2019, ISBN 978-974-9769-33-1
- Cheevasitthiyanon, Supa (2018-08-20). "จังหวัดกำแพงเพชร ประกาศให้ "ปลาตะพาก" เป็นปลาประจำจังหวัด" [Kamphaeng Phet province declares "golden belly barb" as the provincial fish]. PRD (in Thai). Retrieved 2020-04-22.
- "Number of local government organizations by province". dla.go.th. Department of Local Administration (DLA). 26 November 2019. Retrieved 10 December 2019.
4 Kamphaeng Phet: 1 PAO, 3 Town mun., 22 Subdistrict mun., 64 SAO.
- Kamphaeng Phet travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Provincial page from the Tourist Authority of Thailand
- Website of Province (Thai)