Talk:Photographic paper

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
WikiProject Photography / History  (Rated C-class, High-importance)
WikiProject iconThis article is within the scope of WikiProject Photography, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of photography on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
C-Class article C  This article has been rated as C-Class on the project's quality scale.
 High  This article has been rated as High-importance on the project's importance scale.
Taskforce icon
This page is within the scope of the History of Photography task force.
WikiProject Technology (Rated C-class)
WikiProject iconThis article is within the scope of WikiProject Technology, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of technology on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
C-Class article C  This article has been rated as C-Class on the project's quality scale.
B checklist

Spelling of Colo(u)r[edit]

Hey guys, I just changed the page to use the spelling of color with a "u" (colour). I did this as it was overall more common in the article (18 appearences vs 10), and have added the appropriate tag on the talk page. Feel free the change it to american if you feel that would be more appropriate, but either way the standerdisation was required.Xevus11 (talk) 05:58, 29 December 2016 (UTC)[]


Could Someone go into the differences of Resin Coated paper and Fiber paper? Quinwound 04:38, Mar 3, 2004 (UTC)

Photo paper for laser colour printers[edit]

Anyone know if photo paper meant for inkjets can be used for laser printers? Or will it ruin the printer, photo will smudge etc.?

Variable contrast papers[edit]

An anonymous user added a comment claiming that this paragraph was not true (I reverted it):

Photographic emulsions are also produced in a variable contrast type which permits the selection of any grade between 00 and 5. Variable contrast photographic paper is actually coated with a mixture of two types of emulsion, one of which is very low in contrast (0 or 00) and one of which is very high in contrast (5). The low contrast layer is activated by green light, the high contrast layer by blue light. The use of filters activates each layer in different proportions, thereby creating all contrast grades from 0 (or 00) to 5.

My understanding of using coloured filters with B&W film or paper was that the emulsion reacts differently to the different wavelengths of light. So red reacts fastest, producing a higher-contrast image than orange, yellow, green, or blue. Can someone provide a correct (or at least better) description? --Imroy 08:00, 4 January 2007 (UTC)[]

The description doesn't seem so far off. Silver bromide is naturally blue sensitive, with others added by sensitizing dyes. I am pretty sure, then, that the low contrast layer is also activated by blue light. But no, there is no part that relates to reaction time. A grain either is or isn't exposed and developed. It has no memory of the color of light that exposed it. There is some delay effect that leads to reciprocity failure, where exposure over too long or short a period gives different results, but not contrast related. Gah4 (talk) 21:51, 4 July 2013 (UTC)[]

I actually came looking to see what it would say about variable contrast, suprised that there was no entry for polycontrast. As I understand it, contrast in general is affected by the range of the sizes of the silver halide grains. Each grain either is, or isn't, converted to silver on development. All grains the same size gives a high contrast, grains of a variety of sizes a lower contrast. Sensitivity to colors other than blue comes from adding sensitizing dyes to the grains. That doesn't remove the natural blue sensitivity, though. More details than that, I would be interested in knowing.... Gah4 (talk) 19:56, 30 April 2009 (UTC)[]


What are the traditional photo sizes? Does it vary by country? —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 10:14, 19 January 2008 (UTC)[]

Right after I edited the Sizes table over at Photographic printing Jpatokal moved it here, so I will 'move' an old Talk topic about Size here. Outside the USA, in metric countries, you will find Photo inkjet paper in sizes 10x15cm, A4 (210x297mm), and A3 (297x420mm). But when it comes to wet processed photographic paper, both sheet and roll, it seems that inch sizing is common around the world. -GF (talk) 18:54, 21 September 2008 (UTC)[]

Baryta Link[edit]

The link to Baryta = barium hydroxide is incorrect. Baryta, as used in photographic paper, is barium sulphate - a VERY different compound... (talk) 14:51, 24 March 2008 (UTC)[]


IMo, there's so much wrong with this article. Although the info is correct, it's badly organised and catergorised. I'm beginning a clean-up, starting with the sections and sub-sections. I'll try and find some decent refs too. Comments? Baffle gab1978 (talk) 02:20, 28 September 2008 (UTC)[]

Go for it. I might try to help a bit when I can see how to. Dicklyon (talk) 03:20, 28 September 2008 (UTC)[]
That would be most appreciated, thanks. I think the first thing is to tease out the good content and throw out the rubbish or repeated info and section it properly. Then, some further information and refs to support it. Sadly, most of the photography pages are in a similar unreferenced mess. It seems folk have dropped in and thoughtlessly added text. Just proof-reading the page (or others) would be helpful. Baffle gab1978 (talk) 21:45, 28 September 2008 (UTC)[]
Actually, I think the photography pages have made a lot of progress in the last couple of years, and are not as bad as the average wikipedia page. But still there's a long way to go to make them up to standards like WP:good article. Dicklyon (talk) 23:21, 28 September 2008 (UTC)[]

Emulsion characteristics and colour[edit]

It's not clear if any of the section on emulsion characteristics apply to colour printing. Maybe it would be easier to have a separate article on colour photographic paper ? Rod57 (talk) 13:05, 4 October 2008 (UTC)[]

I can't see how a separate article could be helpful. Dicklyon (talk) 23:57, 4 October 2008 (UTC)[]

Most of the properties of color photographic paper are the same as that of color film. One exception are the dye destruction positive papers, what used to be Cibachrome. Gah4 (talk) 19:58, 30 April 2009 (UTC)[]


The section on chlorobromide paper indicates that it "Containing a blend of silver chloride and silver bromide salts". Depending on the definition of "blend", I don't believe that is right. It is, instead, silver (chloride bromide), that is, a latice containing either a chlorine atom or bromine atom in the place where bromine atoms go in silver bromide. The result has properties somewhere between those of silver chloride and silver bromide. This is distinct from an emulsion made from grains of silver chloride and grains of silver bromide. Gah4 (talk) 21:07, 16 April 2015 (UTC)[]